My Researched Opinion
Your first and only long argument is due FRI DEC 04 before class. The culmination of your research, it will draw conclusions supported by the evidence you provide.
This paper will no doubt contain material from your shorter arguments, though in its presentation it will most likely not make obvious to your readers that it contains a definition essay, a causal essay, and a rebuttal essay. Instead, it will transition from argument to argument seamlessly and perhaps reorganize the material for better continuity.
Your paper will acknowledge that your position is not the only, nor probably the most popular opinion on a topic and that reasonable people hold opinions very different from your own but that nonetheless, yours is the correct position.
- Write your only Research Position Paper.
- The recommended length is 3000 words, but as always, the word count is a guideline. A strong paper of 1500 words that makes it case well and thoroughly is far superior to a flabby, repetitive 3000-word essay.
- HOWEVER, a 1500-word essay that does not make a complete argument, or provide sufficient support, or persuade readers of the inevitability of its reasoning is NOT acceptable.
- WORSE STILL, a 1500-word essay that is wordy, wasteful, and repetitive, and that doesn’t reflect a semester’s worth of research.
- The paper will make a controversial, counterintuitive argument supported by serious academic research.
- The essay will include a consideration of common or reasonable counter-arguments and refute them.
- The citation technique is informal.
- The paper will include a Works Cited providing bibliographic details for only those works specifically identified in the essay by citation (at least five sources, but however many you actually cite).
- An Annotated Bibliography is not required for this post.
- The Annotated Bibliography is a separate assignment you have already posted. It will detail all the sources you have consulted, on the pattern of your Proposal +5, and Proposal +10, but with as many as 15 sources.
- Call your post Research Position—Username.
- But in addition to that placeholder title, also give your essay a proper title. For example, this post is titled “My Researched Position”
- Publish your definition essay in the A15: Research Position category.
- DUE FRI DEC 04 before class.
- Customary late penalties. (0-24 hours 10%) (24-48 hours 20%) (48+ hours, 0 grade)
- Portfolio grade category (75%)